Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Pickett in the Press

While I am on this academic hiatus, you can still keep up with me! Below is a collection of press coverage I have received in the past few years plus links to articles I have written. As you know, I've been bucking tide - known as earning a PhD. Of course, with most challenges I've taken on in my life, I couldn't just do a normal PhD. Oh no! I am doing a double PhD abroad, in two different countries - Finland and Belgium. (Insert face palm or eye roll emoji here.) (Why do I do these things to myself?) Anyway, this is a 5-year journey  but good news, I am in my final year!! !  !! The count down has begun. Ten more months to go.  Yippee. 

What am I studying? Right, I forgot to mention that part. I am in the field of work and organizational psychology. What am I studying? Right, in English. I look at the wellbeing of employees. In a nut shell. What area of expertise am I inching towards? Maritime Psychology. What is that? The study of human behavior at sea. In yet another nut shell. I've submitted an article on that topic for peer-review in a scientific journal in August. Am waiting (ever so patiently) to see if it gets accepted for publication. As you can see, it's pretty slow going, academia is an unhurried machine. I'll keep you updated with my research. Until now, there really hasn't been anything to report other than conference presentations and rejections. Though now with the end of the PhD season in sight, I'll be checking in a bit more often with interesting developments that are tied to fishing. 

Until then, 
Best fishes! 

Jen


MEDIA COVERAGE

National Fishermen (Feb. 14, 2019). Fishermen's Flock

Flipboard (March 20, 2018). Fisherpoets Gathering: 21 years of great story telling

National Fisherman (June 28, 2018). Language alive: Fisherpoets celebrates 21 years storytelling.

BBC Cornwall Radio (Aug. 28, 2017). Interviewed for digital Documentary. Fisherwomen. The lives of women who go to sea and consider themselves to be ‘all in the same boat’.

Copper River Prince William Sound Marketing Association (June 21, 2017). Interviewed for promotional video for Copper River and Prince William Sound Salmon.

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. (June, 2016). Value. Poem featured in exhibit titled Our Oceanin Turbine Hall, Portland (USA).

The Daily Astorian (March 2, 2015). Packed to the gills with poets: Salty wordsmiths wash up in Astoria for Fisherpoets. 

In the Tote (present). Blog featuring Fisherpoets

Oregon Live (June 18, 2014). Jenn Pickett of Cordova, Alaska: Astoria Fisher Poets flashback.

Oregon Live (Feb 16, 2013). Fisher Poets Gathering in Astoria features these six salty poets of the sea.

Riverfront times (June 21, 2012). Rock Bottom Copper River Sockeye Salmon Prices Put Gut Check in the Red.

PBS-Food (April 23, 2012). Interview for Kitchen Careers: Jen Pickett, Commercial Fisherman.

Oregon Artswatch (March 12, 2012). Celebrating Work: The Astoria Fisher Poets Gathering.

Alaska Job Finder (2012). Fishing the Copper River Flats Interview.

Alaska Journal of Commerce (Sept. 19th, 2011). Fishermen gather to share poems, inspiration.

The Newsminer (Sept. 18, 2011). Alaska fishermen gather to share poems, inspiration.

National Fisherman (May, 2011). Winter’s chill can’t keep Fisher Poet fans away.


PUBLICATIONS written by Jen


National Fisherman (July, 2018). Fisherpoets at a glance.

Anchored in Deep Water: The Fisherpoet Anthology (2014). A fisherman’s commute; Waiting

Copper River Dock Talk: News from the Fishery (June 5, 2013). Crazy Season Start

Alaska Waypoints (May 16, 2013) Tailor made forecast for the first Copper River opener

Copper River Dock Talk: News from the Fishery (May 15, 2013). Tailor made forecast for the first Copper River opener

Copper River Dock Talk: News from the Fishery (May 14, 2013). Cordova’s Sometimes Annual Fisher Poets

Copper River Dock Talk: News from the Fishery (May 6, 2013). ‘Twas the week before fishing

Alaska Waypoints  (2012). The Pic & The Pen. ALCAN 2012

The Cordova Times (June 15, 2012) Docklines Scuttlebutt and boats of the harbor. F/V Pasak, original and one of a kind

YOUTUBE VIDEOS


FOLLOW ME HERE





INTERESTED IN MY RESEARCH?  






No comments: