Friday, February 10, 2012

2012 FisherPoets Gathering is coming!


The 15th Annual FisherPoets Gathering in beautiful downtown Astoria, Oregon is right around the corner.  It kicks off at 6 PM Friday February 24 and goes until Sunday afternoon.   The FisherPoets Gathering is an Astoria tradition, bringing folks in  the commercial fishing industry together to share original poems, stories, songs, memoirs, essays and art in celebration of the work and its folks.  (http://www.clatsopcc.edu/community/fisherpoets-gathering).  Check out their Facebook page at (https://www.facebook.com/FisherPoets?sk=info).

This event has been on my radar for years.  Last year, I decided to finally make it happen but instead of just being a spectator, like a normal person would, I took the bull by the horns.  I performed.  My first act was at the  biggest venue,  live on the radio.  No pressure.  I walked up on stage and those lights blinded me and my mind went blank.  Completely blank, like a deer in headlights.  Good thing I wrote down what I was supposed to say.  “Hi, my name is Jen Pickett and I’m a commercial fisherman.”  Once I started reading my script, I eased into it a bit and it was smooth sailing after that.   I had a wonderful time and met some wonderful folks.  

I’m looking forward to this year's event and I’ve been working hard on some new stuff to read.  So if find yourself in the Astoria area the last week in February, stop on by!  See you in Astoria!

But, here is a sneaky peak, this one’s for you, Suzie!


To all the fish I’ve caught before
Jen Pickett

To all the fish I’ve caught before
For whom I’ve traveled way offshore
I searched far and near
I dedicate this beer
To all the fish I’ve caught before

To all the fish I’ve dressed
And baby I’ve dressed the best
For giving up their roe
I owe a lot I know
To all the fish I’ve caught before

The winds of chance are always blowing
And every time I try to stay
The winds of chance continue blowing
And they just carry me away

To all the fish I’ve snared in my reel
Who are now someone else’s meal
In my fish hold I did stow ‘em
I dedicate this poem
To all the fish I’ve caught before

To all the fish who’ve died for me
And kept me from bankruptcy
They live within my heart
And will always be a part
Off all the fish I’ve caught before

Those winds of chance are always blowing
And every time I try to stay
The winds of chance continue blowing
And they just carry me away

To all the fish I’ve caught before
For whom I’ve traveled way offshore
I searched far and near
I dedicate this beer
To all the fish I’ve caught before


4 comments:

Tele said...

Excellent poem! But wait - was last year really your first, Jen? No kidding? I'll be looking to you for guidance, then - You DID tackle this bull by the horns!

Jen Pickett said...

Thanks! And, Yup. I'm no highliner, this is only my second year!
Don't worry, you'll do just fine. You have a way of drawing folks in with your writing, imagine when they actually hear it straight from you!
See you soon!

Shane Bugbee said...

fisher poet dave densmore will be bringing his words and, doing astoria proud at this years SXSW festival in Austin, Tx. - it's not to late to throw a him/us a bone: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shanebugbee/wtf-fest-the-underground-comes-above-to-laugh-at-a

Jen Pickett said...

That's great! Thanks for the shout out!