Friday, April 8, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm

Ever wonder what fishermen do to get ready for the season?  If I were to guess, I'd say they would do bench presses, sit-ups, warm ups to reduce carpel tunnel, Zen out on a lotus leaf,  and that type of thing.  Maybe. Maybe that's what other fishermen do. But I find myself doing are all those projects that I've been meaning to do all winter.  Finishing the kitchen re-model project I started over a year ago.  Go to the dentist and have a cavity filled. Have lunch with old professors.   Get my eyes checked at the eye doctor.  Get my studded tires removed and put the summer ones back on.  Get an oil change, clean out my storage unit, have a garage sale, get a hair cut, eyebrows waxed, rent out my place, pack up and move,  etc.  All in the last week before I leave.

Finally, I stopped tripping over those kitchen cabinets and hired someone to install them.  I was going hang them myself, but, then came to my senses and I realized I'd better leave that one to a professional.  Or, more exact, a friend of a friend who does that stuff on the side.  I decided I'd better re-caulk the tub.  That one I decided I can do myself.  I mean, I like DIY projects and fixing things. But in reality I made a mess, the tub looks like shit and I got caulk in my hair.  I have to be honest with you folks, I really didn't enjoy that.  I guess I just want to want to enjoy DIY projects. When I'm not under the gun, that is.  I did enjoy staining all my cabinets.  But I didn't leave myself enough time to do it.  I rushed and ended up with bubbles in my varnish.  But no time to fix it now.  My renter moves in Friday and it still looks like a bomb went off in there.  Seriously, I would take a picture but it's too embarrassing.  But I'll tell you it sure doesn't look like someone is moving in here in a few hours. And I hope my renter doesn't read my blog!

I've been getting up at 4 am (thanks to still being jet lagged from the four hour time change spending last week in Florida) and putting in 14-18 hour days.  Packing, cleaning, getting rid of stuff.  Doing things like finally changing out the shower curtain rod after looking at an ugly one that didn't match anything for 3 years.  I have to wonder why  I do that for someone else, but not for myself.   No time to psycho-analyze my actions now, the clock is a ticking.

The renter moves in Friday (holy crap, that's today!)  We are having a garage sale on Saturday.  I have to pack up the cat and the camper yet and stock up on groceries and all the things I can't get in Cordova.  Then catch the ferry next week.   Fishing season starts in about 6 weeks.  So, I'm frantic now in order to have plenty of time to settle in, mend nets and be Zenning on a lotus leaf next month!

Eat fish and I'll catch ya on the flip side. 

3 comments:

Tele said...

Ha! We're totally on the same program, Jen. I'm heading north in 2 weeks to longline, and have the multi-paged list that I'm freaking out over, things that "have" to be done suddenly. My favorite - the friends who've had all winter to visit with me, and are suddenly like, "We have to get together before you leave!" (It's nice to be valued anytime, but you know.) Somehow, going to the gym to prep for halibut-wrestling didn't make it on my list...
Best wishes through the annual chaos!

Jen Pickett said...

Sometimes, I like to write something on the list that I just did just so I can cross it off. Somehow, that makes me feel better. That and a fluid shift in priorities. :)

And I totally know what you mean about friends, mine do the same thing. Funny!

Where will you be long-lining? Do you ever get up Cordova way?

Good luck with that list-wrestling! Too bad there isn't a exercise to prep for that! Haha

Tele said...

Damn, Jen, you are a kindred spirit! I do the same list amendments for crossing-off satisfaction!

Nope on Cordova; I don't get farther west than Yakutat, and it's been a long time since that. We'll start with a trip out to the Fairweather Grounds, but don't have more than one trip's worth of pounds to get. I'd love to see that country sometime... Will be looking forward to your season's photos!