Friday, February 1, 2013

A Humpy

Rumor has it, many of you thought I fell off the radar. You'd swing by my blog, hoping for a fresh read and there was nothing.  You got skunked.  Found nothing but an old Holiday Recipes post from way back in December, and that was even rehashed from last holiday season.   I owe you an apology and I'm sorry.  I guess I did fall off the radar.   Turns out, Columbus was wrong.  The world isn't round, its flat and I fell right over the edge.  But no worries, dear reader, only just slightly worse for the wear, PickFish is back!  As my buddy Steve would say, for be reals this time.  Or should I say reels? I know, lame joke.  Don't worry, that's my only one and that one is included in the price.  Did I mention worse for the wear?

Anyway, after being chased down and nearly accosted by readers and by one cowboy, in particular (okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, on which part, you decide) wondering why they are not getting updates of my blog in their in-boxes,  I thought for my own safety, I'd better slide my boots on, climb into my raingear, pull the anchor and get my net wet.  Or in other non-fishermen speak, post a blog.  I mean, a reader can only take so many skunks. (And to be sure I bridge the gap for you non-fishy readers, a skunk is when a fishermen sets his net and gets nothing, no fish, no nada, zilcho, zero, a water haul).  If nothing else, I had to write another blog just to get that cowboy off my back.

Speaking of cowboys, its almost that time of year again for the 16th Annual Fisher Poets Gathering in Astoria OR.  Its coming right up Feb 22-24.  You can find out more information here at www.fisherpoets.org, Facebook.com/FisherPoets and you can even follow us on Twitter at FisherPoets. For those wondering what cowboys and fishermen have in common, the answer is nothing, but there is one token cowboy at Fisher Poets, Ron McDaniel.  Now I'm not sayin he
is the cowboy on my back for not writing,  I'm was just sayin' there was a cowboy on my back for not writing. And though he claims not to truly belong at FPs, because he is a cowboy, he has killed at least one fish commercially, so, whether he likes to admit it or not, he's just as ruined as the rest of us.  I mean, he legitimately qualifies as a Fisher Poet.  But I got off course.  Ready or not, dear reader,  its time for PickFish make another set and post another blog.

Now, the big question is what write about after so many months of being away.  The pressure is on.  You guys and gals have been patiently waiting for me to return and I'm sure you have certain expectations.  I mean, you probably think that I have been diligently writing this whole time and will return with some big catch, a monster halibut perhaps. You know one of those record breakers that barely fits into the back of a pick up truck?  I'd hate to disappoint.  I mean, you probably think that maybe I've been taking writing courses, poetry lessons, or even been working on my book.  Seriously, what else would I be doing for so many months? Again, I'm sorry dear reader.  I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if that's what you thought, you'd be wrong.  In reality, I got nothing.  I've been a total slacker.  Dead weight, drag, a water haul, as useful as flotsam and jetsam.  You are expecting monster halibut and here I am, I show up with a humpy.  And a spawned out one at that. You think I was off doing grand things and really, I just went out on deck to take a pee and fell overboard.  With my fly unzipped, to top things off  I mean, how glamorous is that?

But a few of you had faith that I was still out there afloat, somewhere.   You sent out a search party for me, sent me a life raft, told me to stop belly aching and to climb on in.  You gave me some hot chocolate, a little shot of whiskey, put a blanket around me and asked me if I was alright.  I nodded yes and you said Good. Now get your ass in gear and get back to writing.  Roger that.
And thanks Ron!




2 comments:

Cowboy on the Side said...

Glad to see you back Amiga!

Jen Pickett said...

Thanks Cowboy! It feels good to be back in the saddle of writing again.